Framework and toolkit
Program evaluation framework
This whole of government program evaluation framework integrates evaluation into the Northern Territory Government’s policy and budget development processes and aims to improve transparency and accountability, and encourage better use of Territory Government funds by:
- ensuring new programs and extensions to existing programs have identified goals and objectives that are achievable and measurable or include actions to develop measurement as part of the program
- ensuring new programs and extensions to existing programs have an evaluation strategy
- incorporating sunset provisions in new programs, linked to evaluation outcomes
- establishing a rolling schedule of evaluations to ensure existing programs are evaluated over time
- providing a clear mandate for agencies to evaluate their programs and target their investments
- outlining expected evaluation principles and standards
- providing government with clear advice about the costs and benefits of evaluation (including data collection and analysis) to help inform evaluation decisions
- establishing a protocol for policy and program officers to plan for evaluation across the program lifecycle (with a step-by-step guide in the online evaluation toolkit)
- establishing a tiered system of evaluations to ensure evaluation is proportionate to the cost, risk and complexity of a program
- describing how the Territory Government can build evaluation capability within the Northern Territory Public Sector and foster a culture of continuous improvement
- outlining how the Territory Government will measure progress in implementing the framework.
Territory Government agencies must use the framework and toolkit to help plan, commission and use evaluations. The framework and toolkit may also provide useful guidance for Territory Government service delivery partners and external evaluators of Territory Government programs.
The program evaluation framework will be internally reviewed in 2021 and externally reviewed in 2023. The framework can be accessed here.
Any queries can be directed to DTF.ProgramEvaluation@nt.gov.au
Program evaluation toolkit
The program evaluation toolkit is currently being developed with input from the NTG Program Evaluation Community of Practice. The first version of this document will be uploaded here soon.
There are many different approaches to evaluation and the toolkit is not intended to be exhaustive. It will be a living document that is updated regularly in response to user feedback. If you need further information in the meantime, please email DTF.ProgramEvaluation@nt.gov.au.
Last updated: 02 December 2020
Share this page: