Stamp duty exemption on house and land packages


From 1 July 2022, an exemption from stamp duty applies for house and land package buyers in the NT.

If you plan to buy a house and land package in the Northern Territory (NT), you may be eligible for an exemption on stamp duty.

You can do this under the House and Land Package Exemption (HLPE).

Who can apply

To be eligible, you must:

  • buy a house and land package from a building contractor
  • sign the contract between 1 July 2022 and 30 June 2027.

Under the contract, the building contractor agrees to sell land to the purchaser and do one of the following:

  • build or place a detached, new home on the land being conveyed
  • complete the building of a partially completed and detached new home on the land being conveyed
  • transfer ownership of a completed and detached new home on the land being conveyed.

The building contractor must have bought the land from a developer and paid stamp duty on the dutiable value of the land.

The exemption is not means tested and there is no cap on the value of the property.

How to apply

Step 1. Read the guide and fill in the application.

HLPE application  PDF (312.3 KB)
HLPE application  DOCX (220.8 KB)

HLPE vendor declaration PDF (217.2 KB)
HLPE vendor declaration DOCX (65.1 KB)

Step 2. Attach your supporting documents.

Step 3. Email your application to or provide it to your conveyancer or lawyer.

After you apply

At least one applicant for the HLPE must live in the home as their principal place of residence within 12 months of completion.

They must stay there for a continuous period of at least 6 months.

To find out more about the meaning of principal place of residence, read the Commissioner's guideline on the Department of Treasury and Finance (DTF) website.

In special circumstances the Commissioner can change this requirement.

To find out more, read the Commissioner's guideline on discretion to exempt or vary compliance with the eligibility criteria on the DTF website.


For more information contact the Territory Revenue Office by calling 1300 305 353 or emailing


Share this page:

URL copied!